I believe in a positive attitude

Tessa - chandler, Arizona

I believe in a positive attitude. Taking a situation from unbearable to incredible by looking on the bright side and figuring out a solution. I believe starting with a positive attitude can make any problem achievable and more enjoyable along the way. The only thing we can control is our attitude. We cannot change circumstances, we cannot change how others act, we can only change the way we go about living our lives. Attitudes are contagious and a positive attitude is a little thing that can make a huge difference.

There are yearly dinners held by volunteers at my church as a way of gathering all members together for socializing and family games. My mom was a volunteer, and happened to sign me up to help during my freshman year of high school. This was not a typical dinner for 30 people, this was a feast meant for 100 plus members. You can imagine the countless hours of preparation in order to make the dinner successful. As time was winding down to dinner time, the cooks in the kitchen suddenly burst out into hysterical tears, looking at each other with blank faces. The main dinner course was burnt and ruined 45 minutes before dinner time.

I soon realized how different the two directors of this event were. The first director yelled and blamed others for what happened, requesting to call off the dinner entirely. The other director began firing off various ideas and asking for opinions on how to fix the mishap. The other volunteers seemed more drawn to the director portraying the calm, positive attitude as opposed to the spastic, tense director. After multiple calls to different restaurants, we ended up receiving pasta from Olive Garden in a span of 35 minutes. The dinner ran smoothly and the once awful situation turned into a successful night full of laughter and fun.

From this situation, I took away an understanding that no one can shake a positive attitude, but yourself. Constantly striving to make the best of every circumstance shows confidence and perseverance. More people will enjoy being around you and follow your direction. I remember that night whenever I run into an instant where I could give up and loose heart, or overcome the impossible, turning it into something memorable. Life is not about what happens to you, it is how you react that shows true character.