Hard work will open doors

Jon - st.louis
Themes: work

I have been told many things in my life; some that are for the better and some that for the worse. The one belief I was told that stuck with me for ever was “with hard work you can achieve anything you want”. It is the story of my dad’s life and looks like the start to the story of mine too.

My dad was born into a good life; he was set up to do well in life. He could have made a lot of money extremely easy by following my grandfather, but he did not feel like that was what he wanted to do with his life. My dad wanted to prove to him self and my grandfather that he could achieve something better. He did not want to sell trucks and race horses. My dad sacrificed time with my brother and I when we were little so we could have a better life growing up. In the back of my mind I knew that it was for the best but at the time, I thought he did not want to be with us. It was hard to overcome but we did and it came out for the better.

Once we moved to America for the first time my dad felt like it was just the start to something great. I felt different to everyone else and found it hard to fit in, but after time I found myself and realized who I was.

When he was promoted back to a job in England he decided not to go live where he grew up, but live in a small farm town where he had no excuses for not working hard all the time. I liked that we moved away from the city, and it was a relief to get away from everything and just be myself without trying to impress anyone.

As I saw my dad taking everything out of his life and working his hardest to create the life I now live. From the times where I only saw him 3 days every month to 3 weeks in a month, his hard work and dedication is why I live the life I do today. My dad could have took the easy way out and just lived life with something he did not want to do; instead he put in the hard work to create a better more enjoyable life for us. While watching my dad doing though his struggles to get something I realized that I needed to learn from it and use it.

This is the experience I used this was when I tore the ligament in my wrist. At first I was told my season was over and I could not play but watching my dad put in all the work he did to get to where he is, I felt as if I can do the same. Playing cricket was my dad’s first dream as a kid, but as he could not full fill it he taught me everything I know about the game. Cricket was my dream; it was also my dads dream, but I really felt like I could of done something with the talent I possessed when I was playing.

It was my 3rd season as #1 spinner and we were beginning to play for scouts. #1 spinner is a bowler that goes for spin then going for pace and speed. I felt as if I had failed my dad by not being able to play. I was told that there was a chance I could play if I went to physical therapy and kept my wrist wrapped. After 5 weeks of therapy and 5 hours a day of bowling practice to get back to form and started to turn heads.

I heard my belief when I was very little, I watched as it came true for me and my family. It is a life lesson I will tell my kids and hope that they get to experience someone use the belief with hard work you can achieve anything.

Word Count 688