Contribute Your Talent

Megan - IL, Illinois

Everyone has their own talents and gifts, and too often we spend more time admiring the talents of others than trying to perfect our own. The point of everyone having individual talents is for you to perfect yourself in one particular area and pass down the learned experiences—this is what the driving force of the evolution of the human mind. Mastering of a skill shouldn’t be measured by success, but how life altering the process was. For me, this would be gymnastics. I was not an elite level gymnast, I wouldn’t even go as far to say that I was a good gymnast. But I was decent and learned more life skills in one single sport than most probably could say through the hundreds of times I fell on my butt, the practices spent not doing anything but balling my eyes out just thinking about attempting a trick, investing dozens of hours in the gym weeks before a meet only to arrive at the meet and fall of the beam four times and balk during one of my tumbling passes. It the experience where you fail that are the most valuable. You learn to accept failure and graciously admit defeat. The human body is capable of so much, and I have pushed past my limitations physically and mentally.