Patriotism

Nick - Phoenix, Arizona

I believe in Patriotism for one’s country. I believe patriotism can help a person going through a rough patch in their life. It can make you feel as if you are never alone in any circumstance because there is always someone who empathizes with you. Patriotism can also make a person feel happy to live in their country and it can make them feel depressed when their countrymen have fallen into difficult times. Many different types of people belong to a country, but whatever your background may be, it is patriotism that will always make you proud to be a part of your country.

In my life I have come across two examples of extreme patriotism. The whole nation experienced a rush of patriotism after the events of September 11, 2001, when the twin towers fell. The whole nation was touched deeply by this event. After the disaster, most Americans felt emotions such as anger, hatred, love, or sorrow. Despite all the other emotions individuals’ felt that day, everyone felt unity. Whether the event made you want to enlist in the military to help with national security or whether it made you just want to help out a neighbor, everyone was affected somehow. The whole nation united after the national tragedy and felt like they were a part of the United States of America.

The second event I have encountered was after the September 11th tragedy when my father was called back to active duty by the military after twenty years of service. His retirement from the U.S. Army was pushed back a year, but he never complained once. He would have to leave his new job and his entire family, but he knew he had to do it. His patriotism made him want to serve his country after the tragedy. He wanted to do whatever he could to help keep his country safe even though he had to postpone his life to do so. Through this act I was shown what patriotism for your country really is.

Patriotism helps run a country as a whole. Without patriotism our country would cease to exist. During the creation of our country the founding fathers united under a single cause. They wanted to create a land of the free. Their extreme patriotism created this amazing country we call the United States of America. This country is the most unique country on the planet because we have united under extreme circumstances and overcame them together. This was only possible through patriotism and love for our country.