Let’s Try It

Varun - Hoffman Estates, Illinois

Firstly, let me address a nagging issue. I believe that religious quarrels are amongst the biggest “sins” of mankind. To denounce another group’s beliefs is the power to destroy, and an individual should be able to exercise his/her own beliefs in the manner that they deem fit. As a mere figment of human creation, religion was created in an effort to explain the unknown, paving a way to describe what human knowledge could not explain. Whether existing as a messiah or an invisible force given no name, the supreme force behind all life is personal and thus can not be decided to be false by the eyes of another.

But as for my primary issue, I believe that an individual is what they deem themselves to be, whether accepted by others or not. It is not at the disposal of the beholder to justify whether someone else is correct in their beliefs or mistaken, and only through mutual tolerance can this be eliminated. Where a teacher may guide a student, they also limit their scope of understanding. Where failure is curbed in the classroom, failure in real life is avoided, preventing the ultimate method of understanding how to manage on a daily basis. Let the young experience the real world alone, let the safety net that catches the unwary be snipped, and let an end to endless preparation for the real world cease to exist. What is formed as the foundations for good conduct in school merely prevents good firsthand lessons from ever being formed.

So I suggest a proposition to the generation of today. Let us revolutionize how the young are educated to an extent where personal experiences alone constitute what the children of the world will pursue one day. The educational institutions of today grow the roots of future intolerance for others. Let us eradicate the elementary, middle, and high schools of the world, and allow the young to explore the world for themselves. No two individuals share the exact same learning habits, so why not allow the “learnee” to learn for themselves? Guidance is acceptable, but only where it does not inhibit experimentation. No longer can allowing fate to overwhelm the individual be satisfactory, and all will be motivated to find what is important and destined for them. Who needs a teacher where the child is their own teacher? Why allow physical and verbal abuse to exist in today’s learning environments when the association of all school age children can be completely omitted? This I question, and this I firmly believe.