Sabrinna - Newport Coast, California

I believe that I can make a difference. In a world where millions of people feel lost in a crowd, I have learned that I can make a difference.

Some days it is just a simple, cheerful “Hello” as I enter a crowded elevator. On others it is just stopping to hold the door for an elderly person who might need a hand.

I believe that I can make a difference because I have seen the difference I can make. Several years ago, I encouraged my parents to support me in my desire to feed the homeless. I made lunch bags full of food, drinks and a Bible to share with any homeless people I encountered. I trust that these brief encounters made a difference for them, simply by seeing that I cared.

I believe I can make a difference by remembering that everybody wants to feel special. Raising money through lemonade sales, and recycling cans and bottles helped launch my scarf ministry. While living in Fresno during the cold winters, I knew that I was blessed to have a warm home and a bed to sleep in. Again, I pondered ways to reach out to those less fortunate than I. Making fleece scarves was a fun and easy way for me to accomplish my goal. One year I made over 200 scarves and my mom and I set out to deliver them to the tent city where many homeless people lived. I took some scarves to the Women’s Shelter as well as the Rescue Mission. Having this hands-on experience helped me to better understand the joy of giving. My simple gift brought so much happiness to each man, woman, and child that received it.

I believe that I have made a difference right in my own neighborhood. “Grandpa” Don, as I affectionately call him, is my 87-year-old neighbor afflicted with Alzheimer’s disease. I love to stop in and visit him with my golden retriever, Boomer. His face lights up as I walk in the door, especially when I have a plate full of homemade cookies in my hand. Even though “Grandpa” Don forgets me as I leave his home, he has left an indelible impression on me.

Making a difference reminds me that I am needed, and that I have value, and that God has given me a special purpose here on earth.

One person can make a difference and I have learned that the one person can be me.

And the greatest gift of all is that by making a difference for someone else, at the same time, I’ve made a difference in myself.