The power of Prayer

Katie - Rigby, Idaho

To define something I believe in general is a difficult task, many things in the world will change, or there are exceptions to any circumstance. I guess there is only one thing I can honestly say I believe in, that is God. Not only the existence of a immortal being, but the power of prayer and his unconditional love for me, and everyone else.

I had always been told there was a God, and that I was supposed to believe in him but until you experience something for yourself, there is no way of truly believing in something. The first time I had experienced this first hand was in my high school seminary class.

Everyone has times in there life where they don’t feel capable of going on another day, where they feel unimportant, and where life is at an all time low. On this particular day I felt life curling up in the fetel position and dying. I had prayed for help, I needed dirrection and guidence out of this hole I had dug myself into.

Although my heart was heavy and filled with sorrow from recent events, I wanted no pity. I put on a smile and attended class giving off no indication that anything was wrong. During this particular class I paid no attention to the discussion until I had this overwhelming feeling of a presence, of something, I don’t know what, it’s so hard to explain what and how I felt, immediately after my feeling my teacher stopped mid sentence and told the class, “I apologise class, I know we had something else planned for our discussion, but I just had this intense feeling, that for someone, I need to talk about something else.” the instructor continued on reading scriptures that correlated perfectly with all the questions I had about life and the trials I’d been facing.

My heart fell into my stomach, I placed my head on my desk and pretended to sleep, though I was listening completely. Every word that came out of his mouth gave me so much comfort, I felt a strong sense of relief, but at the same time I was terrified to be in, what I believe was the presence of God, such a powerful being upclose and personal. I guess that was the first time I had conformation that there was a “God”. I felt like he was speaking to me, through my teacher, giving me direction.

I had came to relise that regardless the troubles I face, the Lord has unconditional love for me, and if I pray for answers and help with the troubles I face in life, he will be there to help me overcome my chalenges, and guide me in the right path.