Blind Leap

Katie - Seattle, Washington

I am taking a blind leap and I believe that the net will appear. I am graduating college at a time when the national unemployment rate is the highest it’s been since 1982, and with degrees in Theatre and History that I am passionate about but have no idea what it’ll help with. Many college students say that their majors might see them living in a box someday, but this is one college student to which this saying might actually apply. There are many people in the US that are fully capable of doing a fantastic job and are currently unemployed and have been for months, so what makes me think that I’ll get a job right out of college? Why should I believe?

Because my grandmother is 95 years old, blind and mostly deaf, but she loves life and every morning is a blind leap for her. Because my dad works in retail and during this economy every sale is a blind leap for him. Because my mom was a single working mother and every hour was a blind leap. Because my step dad married into a family with a four year old child and a miniature dachshund and that was the biggest leap he could have made. I’ve grown up with so many strong people making huge blind leaps and watching the net appear below them, so I have no reason to believe that it won’t appear for me too. I just need to close my eyes, jump, and enjoy the trip.

I don’t know when my net will appear, but graduating college is one of the best steps I could have taken to insure that it will. And when I graduate this spring, I will know that the only net that I need will be in the stands cheering as loud as they can when I shake the President’s hand. My family is the greatest support I could ever ask for and I am lucky to have them to believe in. So as I march across the stage to get that degree, I will smile, shut my eyes, and believe in the net I know will be there.