Chelsea - Syracuse, Utah
Themes: carpe diem

Opportunities require taking chances and acting upon them. Taking those chances gives us experience, and the experiences leave us with beautiful memories. The memories can end in heart ache or be the beginning of life-long lessons and reminders. I believe life is to be lived, and taking chances improves ourselves and others around us.

Living life with regret is no way of living. I know this only by experience myself. Growing up playing soccer was something I did along side of breathing and eating. It was my passion, my only way of feeling completely at peace. Doing something I loved everyday helped me feel as though I had meaning in my life. I played every day since I was five. As I became old enough, I competed throughout the United States. My team was ranked top 5 in the nation. I was on top of the world it felt like, until my trial came, a trial that could’ve been a chance. This chance was an opportunity of giving me one of the best experiences of my life.

My parents got divorced. This separated my family, and forced us to move to an unfamiliar place. I left my soccer team, and everything I ever knew. Here was my chance. I was given everything. I had the talent to do whatever I wanted next. Instead I scared myself. I have never been in a position where I was the one who didn’t know anybody. I excluded myself from my new soccer team. I didn’t show them who I really was and what I was capable of because I was frightened. Here was a chance that I had to excel in something above the rest, and I didn’t. I let fear rule me, and gave up one of the best opportunities. I ended up quitting soccer and to this day, will never forgive myself.

Who knows what could have been if I took a chance to get to know my new team. I learned to never let those chances pass you by. I took the chance and moved to New York by myself right out of high school. I learned to not let fear overcome desire. This was my chance to meet new people, learn new skills, and figure out what it was that I wanted in life. I was scared, however I took the chance. I now have the experience and memory of a summer that changed my life. I now can share my experience with those around me.

Our Heavenly Father gives us opportunities to bless the lives of others by sharing our experiences. Therefore, taking chances and living life to the fullest will be a blessing to ourselves and those people around us who need to hear what we’ve learned in life. Sitting around doing the same routine throughout our lives will teach us nothing. Although, doing those things that test our strength will be memories forever. This I believe, life is too short to not live it.