This I Believe: Family

Douglas - Austin, Texas
Themes: death

Family is a vital part in anyone’s life. It is sad when someone dies from it. It is a joyous occasion when a life is brought into it. That is why I believe that family is the most important thing in a person’s life, more important than an iPod or money. Those things can be gained whenever you want. If family is gone, it is gone for good. It can never be gained or wished for.

My grandfather died about a year ago. It was the saddest thing I have ever experienced. The funeral was even worse, knowing that he was a military man. At those types of funerals, they have a ceremony called a 21 gun salute. It is where some members of every branch fire guns into the air. I have to say that this was the worse part of the entire process. He taught me that if you try for anything you want, you can achieve just that. From this experience, I learned that losing family is a heartbreaker, but I also learned that having family in your life is a very important thing.

I had a little cousin recently born into this world. She is the most beautiful baby I have ever seen. She was not very nice in the beginning. Now she is a very happy baby and I do not feel like she is mean to me anymore. My cousin taught me that the greatest things can really be amazing, no matter how mean they are. From this experience, I have learned a valuable life lesson. What I have learned is that no matter whom it is, anyone in your family comes first before anything else.

These experiences and traumas are what made me as a person. They have given me reasons to life my life by. People in my life give me life lessons that will not be forgotten anytime soon. These people are the most important to me. Whenever I lose them, it is like I have lost my best friend.