Victory In The Silence: Through The Promise of The Cross

Brian - Shakopee/MN/55379

It was the very first day of psychology of religion class. It was like being in a box full of crayons that made up many colors. In the class room, it was as if the bright colors were in front of the classroom being engaged while those in the back were dark colors seeming not to be as interested. And where there was a group of greens on the left and purples on the right; all were different shades of its own kind. That first day, went from white to grey to the very last day. And as days came to pass, each crayon would get shorter after every use; after every thought projected in the class. Though some crayons barely got used because they are silent.

Every day is a battle; I realize how much I come up short, that I am no more or less than my fellow class mate. Stimulated by the thoughts of others, I ask myself this question, “Am I reflecting Jesus Christ as a Christian?” I don’t want to be a hypocrite, I would rather be seen as fanatic than a hypocrite; and there are very few fanatics for Jesus.

I have been a student at Normandale Community College in Minnesota for 2 years. The college is greatly diverse in different kinds of faiths, clubs, academics, students and professors. It is a college that allows many to be free to express who they are–sometimes. Taking the psychology of religion course has stretched my faith. For example, I am not one who is in favor of science. Later in the course, I began to understand the relationship between faith and science.

“You are light of the world,” Jesus said, and as college student who represents Christ, I know there have been times where I got in the way of that light. Most of those times are when I go to my professor’s office hours. Every Thursday afternoon my professor and other students gather around and have deep discussions. The discussions can range from ethical issues to faith topics. I often think that people like to hear themselves speak; there will be moments where people would be overpowering to the point where others try to interject and get cut off. Sometimes others will wait for something to be said that it may be attacked. I do believe that it is more wise to listen than speak, being slow to anger and quick to listen.

Again I express, every day is battle; many times that are lost and that’s ok. But by the end of the day I know the war had already been won over. Not because I say it and believe it, but because Jesus Christ promised it… This I believe.

467 words