Family Bonds

Dulce - Phoenix, Arizona

I believe that family should always stick together.

When I was younger, one of my uncles felt resentment against my mom for fighting with his wife once, and my mom resented my uncle for caring more about his greedy wife than about his dying mother. My mom and the rest of my family knew that my uncle was wrong for standing up for his wife. He practically kicked my grandmother out of her own house when she was about to pass away, just so his wife could have a quiet place to live. Both brother and sister hated each other. My uncle got to the point where he told my mom “I don’t ever want to see you in my house again.” He also told her that she would not even be welcome at his funeral. This shocked everybody and made our family grow apart.

Even tough I was only about six years old I felt that my mom was upset and full of rage against my uncle. Back then I did not understand why they didn’t talk. I did not understand why I couldn’t see my two cousins anymore, or why we didn’t visit my uncle.

As time went on, my mom forgave my uncle for all the bad things he had done to her and to their mother. I felt her relief from all the hatred. I felt love within my family again.

Now I understand what happened, and I know that, even though my uncle still shows scorn, he loves my mom for being his little sister. Unfortunately my mom and uncle had to go through this situation before the rest of the family realized that they had to stick together. This experience helped me know that I don’t ever want that to happen between my brother and me. I trust my family to be there whenever I need then because even though sometimes we have crashes with each other, we always solve them and we stay close.

I believe that family should respect and love each one of its members, old and young, because they are the ones that will stay with us for the rest of our lives. I know that my family will always be there for me because friends come and go but family always stays. Sounds like cliché? …Well, This I Believe!