Matthew - Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania

“Live life to the fullest. Never take life for granted.”

This I believe. I always knew my grandfather as someone who would put his full effort into whatever he did. He always gave 110%. He was a fully involved member in his community and in the Rajah Shrine. As well as being involved he was well known and respected. He was an amazing husband, father, grandfather, and friend.

My grandfather was a funny, enjoyable, and cool guy to be around. My brother and I always looked up to him and listened whenever he gave us advice. He believed in us and always told us to do the best we could, and when we didn’t do our best he told us we had anyway. He was also an avid golfer, which allowed my brother and I to begin our interests in golf, just as a hobby. One time, he took me golfing and I realized that he wasn’t that good, and my brother and I had thought he was really good. He didn’t care at all, he just helped me with my swing and other parts of my game that I needed to work on.

My grandfather was one of the nicest guys I think I will ever know. He did whatever he could for people. He was one of the biggest people involved in the Rajah Shrine. He was one of the major people that helped with everything that the Shrine did. My grandfather helped with the building or planning of the Rajah Shrine Sports Complex. He spent a lot of his time there making sure that it was perfect for any teams that needed to use the soccer field.

In 2007, he was diagnosed with cancer. Due to working in an Oxy plant for a number of years, the chemicals he worked with affected his body. Finally it caught up with him.

He began to receive chemotherapy as treatment. Although he was receiving treatment, he still continued his duties, especially those he had with the Shrine and with the family. He did try to do any housework but soon my brother and I began to help. He still was able to work on the cars my grandmother and grandfather owned. He did everything he could whenever he could. He didn’t slow down unless it was detrimental to his health.

At a point in December of 2007, we thought he was “out in the clear.” It seemed that his cancer was diminishing and he was beginning to get healthier and feeling better. But within 2 months, his cancer got worse than before. He still attempted to do his duties, wherever he could. Unfortunately his health was deteriorating fast and in April he decided to go home despite the fact that his health wasn’t bad. On April 4th, 2008 my grandfather passed away in his home.

What I gathered from my grandfather’s life is that to never take life for granted. Even though he worked hard and worked all the time, he was able to travel to many places around the world including the Caribbean, Ireland, Alaska, Mexico, and many cruises and other trips in the US. My grandfather was an amazing man and he was able to see the rewards. He never regretted anything and told us to never take life for granted.