Art is the answer to solipsism

Justin - Palatine, Illinois

I believe art unites humanity. Words, treaties, acts of diplomacy, and acts of war in themselves are insufficient. The collection of images, sound, and true expression can connect people better than anything else. While solipsism argues that as people we can never understand or feel what exactly any other person does, art provides the best opportunity to share the way we think, feel, and live. Simple photographs produce faces, places, and objects that one may never see in person in their lifetime, but through the photograph they can meet new places or people, and discover at least a small aspect of their lives at just a glance.

Likewise, drawings and paintings serve to illustrate things that may exist, but are less objective, and they contain the interpretations of the artist. Artists produce these works, often recreating a real scene, but they do so in the light that they see it. They may also create something abstract, something nonexistent in our world, and this creation of imagination conveys where the artist’s mind is, and allows the observer to follow the artist to that spot.

Popular culture’s most popular arts, literature, music, and film, are typically driven by words, but they are done in art form. More than a collection of words; they are stories, true or false, that relay experiences of the artist. These experiences show the ways of thought and life of people.