Faith in God

Chris - Bel Air, Maryland

I believe that there is a powerful and compassionate God, who watches over all of his people. Growing up I was never really taken to church except on rare occasions, the older I got it seemed we went less and less until eventually we never went. Four years ago my parents got separated at the end of my sophomore high school year. Two years later I did successfully graduate high school, a mediocre student with no prospect encouragement or motivation to go to college. I had just recently gotten my first job which I would spend a year working at for almost minimum wages. My attempts at taking several classes the next fall were unsuccessful, as I didn’t have the strength to succeed. So I gave up and continued to work at the dead end job. There could not have been more uncertainty in my mind.

The next summer I was still working at the same job. Most of my friends had gone away to school and in some ways I did envy them; I wanted to be right with them, in some ways they helped motivate me to change. One day I called out of work randomly and I never did go back to work.

Even after quitting my job there still was much uncertainty in my life. There was a lot weighing me down, my parents’ divorce, along with just general dissatisfaction being the worst. I went to my grandparents and asked them if they would mind me living with them and helping me get started in school, and them being the great people they are happily accepted me in and supported me. I spent the rest of that summer with all of my best friends enjoying life, energized with hope for the future. All the while I was consulting with my uncles who were turning me towards the growing computer industry, and looking at colleges around my grandparents’ house to attend. My grandmother especially gave me the proper guidance to make good decisions. Come the beginning of the fall semester I was ready and extremely anxious to start classes.

School went extremely well, I was able to learn an incredible amount while getting great marks. Since I have been with my grandparents here I have been attending church with them. Eventually they gave me a bible and was baptized by my own grandfather. For the bible had opened my eyes to the greatness of God, and looking back I can see how things turned out just right, and how lucky I am to end up where I am through God‘s divine providence. Because of the course of events in my life, there can be no doubt in my mind that there is a powerful and compassionate God who watches out over all of his people. In this I believe.