This I Believe: Dedication

Ryan - Phoenix, Arizona

I believe in dedication. I believe that dedication is the one ideal anyone requires in order to accomplish their goals, whether that goal is something professional for school or a career, or simply a personal ambition that one has set for themselves to improve themselves. Dedication is the will to keep doing something important until you finish or succeed at it. If you want to do something, but have trouble on your first few attempts, keeping trying until you get it right.

I had several extracurricular activities that I participated in during my childhood; most of them being those that I wanted to do because other kids were doing them. Karate, Boy Scouts, Track & Field, I had several to choose from, though I never particularly excelled at any of them. My older sister, Jenna, told me that if I wanted to get better at my hobbies, I would need to be more dedicated to them. She said that I wasn’t really into some of my activities because I had chosen them on a whim, and then simply because I had friends in them. If I wanted to feel more connection to some of my clubs, I should try harder to see them as clubs for me alone, not me and my friends. She said that I should try harder to exceed in my activities, to better myself through hard work and dedication to a skill. Jenna was my idol when I was younger, and it was recommended that I follow her advice.

I began going to more of the meetings for each of my afterschool clubs, and I also began trying harder in the clubs themselves, with more practice and hard work than I had given before. The dedication I was giving to each club took effect almost immediately. I noticed that I was really improving at things I hardly cared for in the beginning, and my coaches and instructors noticed it too, commending the effort I was putting into the program. I felt like I was truly part of the club, rather than a groupie tagging along. Jenna’s lessons of hard work and dedication were working, and that lesson was taken to heart from that day forward.

The above clubs may not have been the best examples, as I did eventually get bored with all three of them by the time high school came around. Still, the idea that you can get anywhere if you try hard enough went with me, and I try to practice that ideal every day of my life so that I may improve my grades at school and my skills anywhere else. To this day, I believe dedication provides all the driving force you need to accomplish anything you set your mind to.