I believe in love

Samantha - Phoenix, Arizona
Themes: love

I believe that love powers the world.

Love unites us all, despite the multitude of differences that we all may have. From the relationships we share with our parents to the relationships we share with our best friends, one realizes that without love, relationships can never last. It is the reason that my parents can accept me for who I am. Our diversity would be intolerable if we did not have that strong emotional connection with that other person. Love inspires compassion, establishes friendships, and stimulates life. Love provides us the motivation to initiate change in our lives and continue trudging through the chaotic world we reside in. Without love, what would our lives look like? Would life even exist? A person lost among strangers, carrying out a loveless life, would never survive feeling content, safe, passionate, and happy. A life without passion for a certain activity or person would be meaningless and numb. If we could not experience love, I do not believe we could muster up enough courage to live.

From the moment I was born, I was coddled and taken care of by every member of my family. The love my parents shared for me provided them with enough motivation to make sure that I grew up in a stable home, always feeling cared for and never feeling lonely or afraid of life. This love they shared kept our family together. This love was a permanent promise to always be there for one another no matter what. My uncle has willingly stated that he would sacrifice his life before I would ever have to experience some of the pain that he has been through. This connection, stronger than steel, has been a vital part of my development as a human being. My family has taught from a very young age to accept everyone and love them for who they are as a person. If this love was lost, I probably would have grown up afraid, discouraged, and lost for a majority of my life.

If everyone could experience love instead of hate and indifference, the world would be a much better place for us to thrive and evolve as individuals. If we established proper thoughts and healthy loving relationships, we would be able to rid this world of intolerance, prejudice, and injustice. Love provides the change we need in order to find a better future. As Emily Dickinson, another believer in love has once wrote, ”love-is anterior to life, posterior -to death, initial of creation, and the exponent of earth“.