Hung - Phoenix, Arizona
Themes: courage

I believe in courage. I believe that courage is one of the most important characteristics that allows everyone to overcome difficult obstacles. Everyone has the will power to overcome crucial tasks throughout his or her lifetime.

I always remembered the stories told from my dad’s childhood. At a young age, my father shared his memorable stories and discussed the obstructions that he had to overcome as a young adult. My father was an outstanding student in high school. With his loving family and friends, it seemed that he had the life of an ordinary child who grew up in a small village in Vietnam. One of his memorable stories that he told me occurred during the 1970’s. My dad was in his early twenties when his family had to become refugees in the Philippines after the fall of Vietnam democratic society. Being the youngest sibling, my dad had to learn the reality of life through vivid images of the Vietnam War. Fearing for his life as well as family, my dad was the one that protected his family throughout the journey.

I remembered that my father told me that he had seen too many innocent victims die because the government wanted all of the refugees to be executed once and for all. He remembered that one of the generals from the Philippine’s government decided to execute several refugees on the island. Several of them were his family members and friends. The turning point of his journey was when he saw that the people that he loved the most were being executed in cold-blooded murder by several generals as well as sea pirates. For five years, his family members feared for their lives. With hopes as well as courage, my dad had overcame several dangerous problems regardless of the important struggles for survival. Experienced through several horrific incidents as a young adult, I realized that all the obstacles my father had been through for several years were tremendously difficult for anyone to understand.

These horrendous events are perfect examples to exemplify the power of courage. I believe that courage can help everyone to overcome his or her difficult obstacles throughout the journey. His examples helped me to prevail through difficult entrenchments. He could have let his experiences tear him apart, but I think he is an even stronger person from the inside because of what he went through.