Perseverance

sean - Phoenix, Arizona

I believe in perseverance. I believe that without perseverance, we could not be successful in anything that we do. When faced with a problem, an individual has a choice to either give up or to persevere through the difficult situation. Without perseverance, our country would not be what it is today, and we would not be the same individuals as we are today.

I remember when I was playing in a tournament for my high school golf team. We were playing in Flagstaff, Arizona. Additionally, we were competing against more than twenty other high school teams. This remains the largest tournament, in both magnitude and significance, which I have played in. Obviously, I was a little nervous to start out my round. My anxiousness became apparent when I hit two balls out of bounds in a row on the second hole. Clearly, I was frustrated. I figured that I had just ruined my round and, more importantly, let my team down. Likewise, I was extremely disappointed with myself. I started to think all sorts of negative thoughts about how I had embarrassed myself and my team.

Then, I started to think of positive things. I started to realize that it was only the second hole, and that I still had plenty more golf to play. Evidently, I had dug myself into a hole and getting out would not be an easy task. I think Thomas Paine put it best when he stated, “These are the times that try men’s souls.” I started to look ahead to the rest of the course, looking for holes that could be considered as “birdie opportunities.” I began to feel more confident with myself.

As my confidence was building, my swing became much more fluid and I started to play better golf. I went on to birdie four of the remaining sixteen holes. Not to mention, a 320 yard drive. I was determined to persevere through the rest of the round. I ended up throwing together a solid round of 84. In addition, I shot the third best score on my team. Furthermore, the team finished in fourth place in the tournament. I would not have been able to put together this round, if it were not for perseverance. This experience has given me confidence whenever I am in a situation where I think that I will not be able to come out successful.