Rosa - 85044, Arizona
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in being thankful for everything in my life. It remains so simple to bypass the little things in life, like taking a walk in the park or eating dinner with your family. We forget the fact that not many people have the same privileges as us, and we don’t think about what life would be like if we lost our eyesight or the ability to talk. I think the problem with society today, myself included, is that we take advantage of everything that is and has been given to us. Every day I have the privilege of waking up to the sun creeping through my window and the smell of my father preparing breakfast. I never imagined starting the morning any other way and I came to expect the gifts that were there yesterday, to be here today when in reality, that’s not how life operates.

It wasn’t until a few years ago, when both my parents were sent to the hospital within a year of each other, that I realized I was taking advantage of my parents and all the things they have provided for me. I always expected them to do the laundry and help me with my homework when I needed it, and I never thought about what my life would be like if I didn’t have them around. When my mom was in the hospital, I had to take on the role of the mom. I washed the dishes and the laundry, cleaned the house and helped prepare most of the meals. When my dad was in the hospital, my responsibilities were similar.

This experience opened my eyes to the fact everything I love can be taken away in an instant and I should be thankful for my possessions and my family. Since then I have tried to be more appreciative toward the things and events I have had and have experienced in my life, even the negative. Although being thankful for everything in my life has not been an easy task, I think of what life would be like without my parents and of all the people who go through life as orphans, and it helps me to make what I believe in that much easier to accomplish. It’s like Horace said, “Carpe diem! Rejoice while you are alive; enjoy the day; live life to the fullest; make the most of what you have. It is later than you think.”