Too Much Church?

Dianne - Tempe, Arizona

I believe in “too much church.” The average American goes to church once a week, on Sunday mornings. Occasionally, the youth meets up once a week, equaling out to two times a week for a “normal” Christian teenager. How many times do I go to church a week? About four to five… a week. You could say I am not the average American. My Romanian family is extremely devoted to church-going. Take a look at my average Sunday: wake up at eight; leave at eight thirty; church from nine to twelve; come home; eat; do homework (or take a nap); get ready again at four; leave at four thirty; arrive at five for a Romanian class; church from six to eight. Wait though, that’s not all! On Tuesdays, I go to the youth program from seven to nine; on Wednesdays, I attend my church’s drama club and the girl’s choir. Saturdays, I waitress at parties held at the church, volunteer at car washes, bake sales, garage sales, etc. Talk about insane! The most crazy thing? I’ve been doing this since the age of thirteen. If any teenager should complain about going to church too much, it’s definitely me!

Now, you might be thinking I must be going crazy from all this involvement. It takes half an hour just to get there, so think about all the gas; I usually come home late, going to school the next day sleep-deprived; I do not have much free time, so time for homework comes scarce; On top of all that, I also juggle a job on the side.

What I can tell you now is that the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages. Whenever a person is busy, he/she learns to work around their schedule. I am an honors student, but somehow still managed to get straight A’s. I do not lounge around at home, taking my sweet time to do my work. Being constantly busy also teaches me to appreciate the extra time I do occasionally receive. Going to my church countless times a week also creates a bond with other teenagers that go through the same exact schedule. For example, my best friend, Ema, and I have been best friends for over five years through all the time we spend together at this sacred building; note that she also lives a good half-hour away from me. The most important concept from all this nonstop “work” is that it keeps me close to my faith. I believe that everyone needs some kind of faith to help them through any hardships and blessings in life. Church teaches me how to strive to live the perfect life; although it may be impossible, it is sure worth trying to get there…and that is why too-much church is never a bad thing.