Wayne - Chandler, Arizona

I believe in opportunities. More specifically, I believe that one opportunity leads to another, as opportunities open doors to success.

In high school, the opportunity arose to run for Student Body President, and I did not fear the challenge. I was the underdog because I was running for the office as a sophomore for my junior year. Only one other student in our school’s history had accomplished such a feat, and to his dismay, he only served one year and did not go on as Student Body President for his senior year. So I set out to make history; I set out to become the only student in Mountain Pointe High School’s history to serve two years back to back. I won going into my junior year, and when elections rolled around again, I won my second term.

That was only the beginning; serving as Student Body President at one of the largest high schools in Arizona, other opportunities soon followed. A local magazine, azTeen Magazine, decided to feature our school in one of their issues. As President, I served as a vital contact between the school and the editors at the magazine. My relationship with them began to build, and almost a year later, they offered me the opportunity to emcee their annual azValenteen’s Day Bash. This charity event had food, fun, and live bands, so I accepted their offer without any hesitation.

As this relationship continued to grow and prosper, I soon found myself at another event for the magazine. It was their first annual Model Search 2009 in partnership with Ford Models, which is the modeling agency of the hit TV show America’s Next Top Model. I received word of the event from the magazine’s Editor-in-Chief, and I quickly volunteered my help. Now I was too old to be a model, according to their criteria, however, I simply went to help out with the event and not to be a model. Soon after arriving, the agents from Ford Models called me over and gave me their business card. They told me to call them the following Monday, which I did, and soon they offered me a contract.

As I reflect on my high school days, I cannot go without pondering, “What if I did not run for Student Body President?” That simple opportunity to run for office lead to building a lasting relationship with a magazine, which in turn, developed into a professional modeling career with one of the top agencies in the world. To this day, it amazes me how opportunities seem to present themselves not as sporadic events, but rather like roads that always connect to each other or branches of a tree that are founded by roots. For me, serving as Student Body President for two years was the roots that I needed to set me on a path to success. In the end, I always tell myself, “Never let the fear of the challenges along the way ever stop you from beginning.”