Amy - Phoenix, Arizona

Many teenagers take on the motto, “Live life in the moment”, focusing on the current situation, not contemplating later effects. Sure, living in the moment has its perks, an enjoyable experience without taking on any responsibilities, but when it comes down to it, will living in the moment take you where you want to go in the future? Contemplating this exact question, I came to the decision that I was not going to hop on the bandwagon, but follow my own path. Instead, I took on a new motto. I believe in living life to its fullest potential. In my opinion, the two phrases are completely separate from each other.

Living life to its fullest potential. What does that phrase even mean? How is it separate from living in the moment? I am sure that there are many different interpretations, but in my opinion, the phrase revolves around decisions. I work hard in school and extracurricular activities, I have fun with my friends and am not afraid to be myself, and I am in the process of choosing a path that will allow me to be successful. While living in the moment you might make decisions that seem great at the time. However, those decisions can trigger unwanted consequences later on. Living life to the fullest includes making sensible choices during difficult situations and doing what is best for yourself and others. Now, as I am preparing to end high school and beginning a new chapter in my life, college that is, I cannot think of a better belief.

When I was younger, my parents made all of my decisions for me. They decided where I went and what I wore. They were there to lay down my childhood. Now, as I am retaining much more independence, I find myself making the same choices I believe my parents would make for me. This has not been a purposeful action, how many teenagers believe they will grow up to be like their parents? It was not until recently that a thought occurred to me, my parents and I share similar beliefs. It took me eighteen years, all my life, to come to this conclusion, as shocking as it may seem. With all of the preparation I received from my parents, I am not concentrating on achieving my goals and preparing myself to override any difficulties that come my direction. I believe in living life to its fullest potential and making my life the best that it can be.