This I Believe-Free Agency

Arieona - Phoenix, Arizona

I believe in free agency. I believe free agency offers us the gift to live in peace and contentment. A lot of people may not fully understand what free agency is, but it is the ability and privilege to choose and act for ourselves. With this simple act; everyone has the right to do what they believe without the help of individuals around them. At school I hear stories of how some of my friends choose to drink due to the influence of other friends. Free agency can open our minds to do what is right or even just make certain decisions without the excuse of being forced to do it or ‘if they do it, it is ok’.

When I came to realize and comprehend what free agency was, my mom told me a story about my Uncle Mike. My mom’s brother was always such a crazy, fun-loving teenager. Whether he was playing the guitar or just hanging out with his friends, he always loved to have a good time. One night, my Uncle Mike was faced with a choice to either drink beer at a party or stick with staying clear of alcohol. His friends pressured him saying, “Drink it or you aren’t our friend anymore.” After he chose to be the cool guy and take the beer, it hit him much faster since it was his first time. Deciding to drive home on a cold night in Chicago, where the roads were icy, Uncle Mike hit a tree.

Ending up through his windshield, he was diagnosed paraplegic with brain damage causing him not to be able to care for himself. That one decision that pressured my uncle during his junior year caused him to never be able to play his guitar or recognize his friends and family. This was the saddest story I have ever heard, not only because it was about a member of my family but because he had so much going for him.

Every one should not feel pressure by anyone to do something they do not want to do. Yes, my Uncle Mike had free agency but he chose to drink because of the fear of losing his friends. Free agency can help everyone to chose right over wrong. It can help everyone to make wiser choices in life. Who needs friends anyway if they do not respect you with your decision to not drink or take drugs. We must choose to live with free agency to live a happier life.