I believe in friendship

Alexandra - chandler, Arizona

I believe in the power of friendship. According to Dictionary.com, friendship means “the quality or condition of being friends”. To me, friendship means more than simply “a state of being a friend”. A true friend is someone who sticks by you when you are down and celebrates with you when you are up. It is someone you trust. It is someone who understands, appreciates and knows the person you are.

I was 14 when I experienced the true meaning of friendship. High school is a time where teenagers are experiencing new things and simply trying to fit in. Going into my freshman year, I left my old school to attend a new high school. I was very worried I would not have any friends. Fortunately, my two best friends that I have known since my childhood transferred with me. High school was an extremely scary thought for me, I constantly wondered if I would fit in. My first year at Mountain Pointe, I made many friends, good and bad. Throughout my freshman year I was starting to learn how to fit in. Regrettably, I started to ditch my best friends to try and fit in with the “cool girls,” but after many incidents, I realized that my new friends were not my true friends. I did not trust them and in a friendship that is an important component. Luckily, I realized what a mistake I had made. My best friends, being the good people I knew they were, understood and welcomed me back into their lives with open arms.

To this day, I am still best friends with the girls that have always been there for me. When I think of the meaning of friendship, I immediately think of those friends who have been constantly present in my life, those who have been a stellar support to me in happy times and times of crisis. After my freshman year, I learned who my true friends were. I also learned that trying to fit in does not always mean you will be happy with who you have to become. I strongly believe that without true friendship in my life, I would not be the person I am today. They have molded me to be a happy, encouraging and a loving person. True friends support one another and forgive one another. All of my friends have helped me through hardships and given me the guidance that I need. “A friend in need is a friend indeed.”