I Believe in the Power of Music

Madison - Phoenix, Arizona

I believe in the power of music. Music is a part of every single person in the world, whether they recognize it or not. It is beautiful, harmonious and its powers to assist will never go out of style. Music has the power to heal, comfort, and portray the emotions we cannot put into words.

When I was on vacation in Australia, not only was I half way across the world, but I did not have my parents with me to enjoy the trip. I went to visit my aunt and uncle who I barely knew but luckily my best friend came with me. Unfortunately she had to leave early so that last week without her was really hard for me. I was the most homesick I had ever been and without music to help me think of home, I honestly do not know what I would have done. The simplest act of listening to a familiar song can bring back so many memories, comforts and visions of home, so that you feel instantly better.

In every single way imaginable, music has the ultimate power of healing. Whether someone had a rough day at work, or is going through an emotional time, music has the power to portray everything we are feeling at that moment. All it takes is a simple song to lighten someone’s mood or put that smile back on their face. To have the gift of being a singer or songwriter would be extremely rewarding knowing that you can brighten someone’s day just by humming a familiar tune.

Comfort is something every human cannot live without. Whether this means you just moved across the country and need a familiar song to make your new house feel like home, or a loved one has passed and you need the comfort of their favorite song to make you feel better, music can easily turn a situation into a more comfortable one. Not only is it a great conversation starter, music also relates people to one another. You can almost always tell if you will have something in common with someone if your tastes in music are similar. Bringing people together and comforting a loved one by sharing the love of songs is a beautiful concept in itself.

Putting our emotions into words can sometimes be the most difficult task we are asked to do. Songwriters have the gift of understanding emotions and stringing them together to make beautiful poetry. Not only can music be related to song and poetry, but conveying music through dance is also breathtaking. It was once stated that dancing is poetry of the foot, which easily relates to the music behind the whole concept. Being able to move to the poetry and story behind a song is also a gift that not many people can obtain easily. Our emotions are complex webs of thoughts and music makes all of that a little easier to understand.

Music is the perfect link between cultures and can bring the most opposite of people close together. By the power of music, people can feel welcomed, understood and at peace. Once you have found a safe haven in music, it is difficult to find that same comfort in anything else.