Say What You Need to Say

Mikaela - Las Cruces, New Mexico

Middle school is really hard and even harder without friends you can share your problems with.

In school my friends are Nicole, Briana, Jessica, and Alison. In the beginning of seventh grade we were all best friends and we were having fun together. We had sleepovers at each others houses. We went to a lot of different places together. It all seemed to be perfect.

A few weeks ago we had a fight. Jessica said that Nicole, Briana, and I were calling her names, but we weren’t. Alison, another member of our group, was following Jessica; they both were saying we called them names. Briana, Nicole, and I had no idea what to do. Briana told Jessica to stop spreading those lies through the school. Jessica didn’t stop. A few days latter a few of our teachers called us in to talk.

Jessica and Alison sat across a table from Briana, Nicole and I. Mrs. G started talking. “Okay, what’s the problem?”

We each had a turn to talk. Briana went first. She said…“Well, this all started when Jessica started saying that Nicole, Mikaela, and I are calling her names, but she said them too, between me and Jessica, it was a joke.”

Nicole was next. She said…“I haven’t said anything about her. I don’t know why she is mad at me.”

I was next. I said…“We have had this problem before, and after that I have not said a word about Jessica or any other girl.”

Now it was Jessica’s turn. She said…“Well, what Briana was saying was hurting my feelings, but I didn’t want to tell you it hurt cause I thought that you would stop be my friends.”

Briana wanted to scream but she said…“Jessica, why did you take such a little thing and make it huge? We’re all supposed to be best friends; you just blew it all up. You don’t even want to see us all happy anymore…I …I don’t even know if I want to be friends with you anymore.”

“It’s because my mom calls me names too just to be mean to me and makes me feel bad and I don’t like it and sometimes I…I just want to run away from her,” Jessica said.

“WHY DIDN’T YOU TELL US?” Briana, Nicole, and I yelled.

We could barely hear Jessica say…“Well……..well, I didn’t think you would listen to me – that you would just laugh.”

Briana started to cry. She quietly said… “We are best friends we are supposed to tell each other everything.”

I said… “We are always here for you.”

Nicole interrupted…“We love you and want to know what is going on in your life.”

All of us were crying. We got up and had a long group hug. We are all back together. Best friends should tell each other everything.

This I believe.