A Bright Future

Hannah - Palatine, Illinois

My senior year of high school is finally coming to an end. Finally? But it went by so fast; I still remember freshman year like it was yesterday. But at the same time I feel like I’m stuck in a place where the clocks never tick; time stands still. How can this school year feel like ten light-years (and counting) and still feel like the beginning of day one? Well, no matter how much time has passed, there is one thing I know for sure; this year has been a year of growth for me. Along with the physical changes I see in myself, I have also seen myself mature, something I rarely recognize in myself. I have gotten through my moms second year diagnosed with cancer and had to watch two of my best friends suffer from the loss of a parent. I have learned how to manage my time more efficiently than in the past and I have learned how to negotiate (a little) better with my parents. Senior year has also gotten me closer to my dream of attending college.

In the fall I plan to attend Arizona State University; a dream I thought would always remain a dream. As a senior I have become an even more independent person than I did junior year and achieving the goal of being a student at ASU now seems like a reality. Although Arizona State is almost half-way across the country, I believe I have what it takes to make it there alone. For the first few days I will be without the support system that I am used to but I promise you and myself that I will make it.

Although my background of tackling tasks alone isn’t a very bright one, I believe I have the will to get through it. I now believe in myself and I know I need this tool in able for me to succeed. This state of mind, however, did not come easily. It took many moments of failure and embarrassment to get me to where I am today. My parents and friends are the ones that have given me enough support to gain the confidence I need to go to a college where I know very few people. I think about the kids who have dropped out of college due to them not being able to open up, learn, and meet new people while away. This, I believe, will not happen to me. I am determined to make those college years the best of my life.

As the class of 2009 graduates and begins their lives outside of Fremd High School, I can’t help but wonder which of us will succeed; which of us will fail? It is a scary question to think about, after all our success in college could determine the rest of our lives; however, I believe all you need is the confidence, the determination, and the will to succeed. I believe I have all three of these and more. I believe in my future.