Life is Like a Twisty Cone

Morgan - Pine Grove Mills, Pennsylvania

“Morgan, if you don’t finish your vegetables you won’t get any ice cream tonight.” As a young child, I thought vegetables were gross and eating them would often ruin my day. I would sit and play with them on my plate, wishing I had a dog to feed them to. But my mom would always say those magic words. I would then lick my plate clean because eating ice cream each night was the highlight of my day.

I had to be dressed and ready to go to bed before I got to choose the type of ice cream I would have that night. This was always a tough decision because my family always had three or four half gallon tubs of ice cream in the freezer. Did I want vanilla, chocolate chip cookie dough, mint chocolate chip, or cookies and cream? No matter which flavor I chose, when I finished eating it I would forget the (what I thought were) nasty vegetables that my mom made me eat earlier. I would go to bed happy. Getting past a few obstacles to get ice cream was always worth it in the end.

Looking back, I always wonder why my parents gave me ice cream every night. It seems as though it might be unhealthy to eat it so often. But now I realize the ice cream helped me learn that at the end of the day everything will turn out alright. It also taught me not to worry about the little things. I learned I will get upset over small issues like a bad haircut, but soon enough I will forget about it and the hair will grow out.

Everyone gets a bad haircut at least once. I had that experience when I was 12. At the time I thought it was going to ruin my life and none of my friends would speak to me. But after the initial shock I attempted to be positive because I knew my hair would grow out. Like the vegetables there are going to be obstacles I need to overcome to find happiness. But the end result is always worth the means. Something is bound to happen everyday that upset me or make me angry. To this day I still get teased about that haircut in my 6th grade picture but I have learned to not let it bother me anymore. Instead I just laugh. I can do this because I know I will not remember the incidents a few minutes later.

A friend once told me, “life is like a twisty cone, there is good and bad, but when you eat the ice cream the two flavors both mix together and even each other out.” I try living my life as optimistically as possible. I try to constantly look for the ice cream at the end of each day. Doing so has made it easier to stop stressing as much and just live my life.