Heart of doctors

Gina - Palatine, Illinois
Themes: science

Despite all the ways science and technology has helped save lives, there is one thing they fail to do. Helen Keller once wrote, “Science may have found a cure for most evils; but has found no remedy for the worst of them all—the apathy of human beings.” Although the evil of diseases, cancers, tumors, and viruses that contaminate our body is being fought and won over by the forces of all the medical breakthroughs being made, there is still no cure for the evil in the mindset of human beings, consisting of the ignorance and indifference of today’s society to the pain and suffering of the people truly in need. Science fails to cure the lack of concern of our society that does not pay enough attention to the impoverished people who do not receive even the most basic medical treatment available.

I am sick of watching doctors pursue their jobs just for the reputation and money, settling themselves in the “safe zone” within the doors of a huge hospital, searching for rare cases that would bring fame to their name. The meaning of a doctor’s job is being lost and forgotten. A doctor is not just a job, a career, or a daily routine that defines success. But a doctor is a person that has the miraculous power to save lives.

I believe that there need to be more doctors that don’t fiddle with incredible surgical machines like the Da Vinci within the comfort zones of a huge hospital, instead sacrifices their own comfort in order to embrace those that are rejected by our society. Instead of being a person that expects to be standing above others, being recognized for the things they do, more doctors should humble themselves and help the impoverished children, suffering AIDS patients in Africa, providing them the medical treatment that is rarely ever available to them.

The little infants that cannot live past the age of one, the children that do not live long enough to know how to dream, the adults that don’t have a chance to reach for their dreams are the people that should motivate all doctors to fight through all the obstacles and become a doctor that is not apathetic, but has a heart to cure the hearts and bodies of those that are truly sick ad struggling. These people do not need the costly robot machines, the rare, expensive drugs, or the complex surgical procedures. All they need is a bit of basic medical procedures to be performed on them with hands and hearts that truly care about them.