Believe What You Want

Rebecca - Palatine, Illinois

I believe asking questions is an essential part of life. Things should not be accepted as they are, but should be constantly debated and talked about. Accepting “reality” is boring and it gets you nowhere in life. I question everything. Ideas and objects that seem logic to other people confuse me. The other day, while stopped at a red light, I wondered what the point of a traffic light is. The obvious answer is to allow a driver to safely travel from place to place in their car. But then that answer made me think of another question, which led to another question, followed by yet another. Every question I ask myself seems to have an obvious or logical answer, but those answers never satisfy me. I do not think that there is one logical, correct answer to any question. Answers depend on the person questioning and the way they see things. Answers are circumstantial. They change and move with the time. Call me crazy, but I am not sure I believe in physics or trigonometry. Since the beginning of man, science and math have constantly been evolving. Theories that are accepted one day are denounced the next. The shape of the Earth was once flat. It was also once square. Now it is round. So what shape is it really and how do we know? A hundred of the most intelligent scientists could not convince me they truly know the “real” shape of the Earth. Logical answers are created so people can coexist peacefully. Definite answers set limitations and standards on life. I believe people are afraid to know that there are no real truths in life. Not knowing or understanding is scary. I think people are scared the world would be chaotic if everyone thought and did as they pleased. And maybe the world would be chaotic, but I would still like to see what would happen if there were no rules and limitations to thinking and feeling and just being human. I believe people should dream big and never accept limitations. No matter how absurd your dreams may be, they can happen. Reality is what you personally choose to accept. If a person chooses to accept something, one hundred percent, with all their heart, that reality will happen. So, dream big. Believe what you want and forget the rest.