The Project

Andrew - Rexburg, Idaho
Themes: work

Wiping a mixture of sweat and dirt from you forehead can be a very bitter sweet experience. To some people it means that they are smelly now and need a shower, but to me it means that I have been putting my best effort into my work. I love the feeling of working as hard as I can to finish a job and check another item off my list.

This past summer I had one of the best experiences of my life. And as you could have guessed it took a lot of hard work. My father and I had a dream of making the ultimate rock crawling 4Runner and that summer we were able to build it from scratch and I very limited budget. This project involved hours and hours of research and careful planning to make it be able to work out correctly and still be safe. I spent all my morning and afternoon hours outside in my drive way checking and rechecking the work I did until my dad came home from work to help me. I was very grateful for the opportunity to be able to work alone while my dad was at work. When I am put in a new situation and need to solve it before I can move on to the next obstacle, it makes me think deeper and really helps me apply the skills and talents that I have learned and been blessed with to real life situations. These situations help me grow as an individual and make my work more meaningful. That summer helped me realize what hard work can do to an individual, and there really was a prize at the end of my tunnel of hard work. When you really put your best effort into a job, you can only be rewarded. The end of that summer left me with a beautiful and custom built vehicle, more skills that I could have ever dreamed of, and probably the closest bond I could ever have with anyone built between me and my father. And that prize was probably the best of all.

This was a summer of experience, relationships and most of all hard work. Hard work is a key trait to building good character and there is never a negative outcome from hard work. It is a quality that we all need to have success and feel accomplished.