Finding Happiness

Lawren - Provo, Utah

I believe that happiness is something we should all search for. Some think happiness can be found in material things like money, clothes, houses and cars. It may bring you a shallow, happy feeling, but really, how long can that last? As soon as the clothes start to wear, or the car loses the new car smell, or the house gets dirty, the happiness is gone.

Growing up, I would pretend that I was happy to make things easier for the people around me, but I never was truly happy with how things were. It didn’t change until I stopped caring about what others thought of me and started to believe in myself. When my peers would say mean things or be rude to me, I learned to brush it off and not let it affect me. After mastering that, I found that I was so much happier with the person that I am.

I’ve known people who think that as soon as they can get to the top, they will always be happy. But what happens if you get to the top, and it’s not what you thought it was? Some like to think that they will get exactly what they want in life if they take the appropriate steps, but that’s not always the case. Sometimes it’s the unplanned roads you take that get you to the place that will bring you the most happiness.

While you should look for happiness, you don’t want to make a set agenda for how you will get it. When I was in middle school, I had a set plan in my mind of how I would become happier. Back then, I wasn’t thinking that it was happiness I was looking for, more that I wanted acceptance, but it comes together. I needed to make the right friends, wear the right clothes and say the right things. Trying to be the person that I thought everyone else wanted me to be was making me miserable. I didn’t like the person I was becoming, but I figured I was doing what I had to do to be happy. I knew it was getting me nowhere trying to be someone I wasn’t, but it’s a hard habit to break. When I finally did break it, I felt like a huge weight was lifted off of me. That’s when I realized what true happiness was. I learned to like who I am and not be afraid to show my true self.

I’ve made a promise to myself that I would never try to find happiness if it meant becoming someone who I wasn’t. I’ve learned to laugh at the dumb things I may say or do and not get embarrassed by it. I make sure that the little things matter and never let the big things get in the way. I’m not always happy, but it’s the one thing I will always be working towards.