Making Mistakes by Mis Judging

Porche` - Surprise, Arizona
Themes: golden rule

I’m 15. I believe in not judging people by what you see on the outside appearance because I have been accused of judging people many times. What you think can also hurt people’s feelings. Have people ever made fun of you and they didn’t even know you? That’s how it feels to be judged by your outside. Many people don’t care until it happens to them.

On the first day of my freshman year, I saw this girl. I was nervous like every other freshman. I didn’t know if she was a freshman or not until I saw her in my first hour. I thought to myself, this girl thinks she’s all that and maybe even better than me. Then I began to examine her attitude and it wasn’t cute at all. I thought, yes she’s two – faced and likes to talk a lot of trash. So she began to look me up and down as I began to sit at my seat. I was getting very mad too.

I thought to myself I have to calm down, this is my first day of school and I don’t need to be getting in trouble. I knew I looked good but I also knew that wasn’t the reason she was looking at me in the wrong way. I moved seats and started to mind my own business. She was still looking at me, so I began to pray to God and ask him to help me calm down and stay in my seat.

We all know a typical teenager would go up to that person and confront them right away. I didn’t want to make a scene, so I went to go talk to her after class. I went up to her with a nice, calm, soft voice and talked to her about her day so far. I introduced myself to her and ask if I knew her and of course she said “no”. Then we began to talk about 8th grade and what school she attended. I asked her why she was looking me up and down and she said, “You just look like a nice friend and have good style.” I exclaimed, “Why the attitude then?” She exclaimed “I’m just nervous and I don’t like being nervous.” Then I replied, “Same here.” I thought to myself, thank God I prayed for calmness.

Until this day we have been best friends. Just recently she asked me if I judged her by her cover and appearance when I first saw her. I said, “Honestly, I did, but what I thought was wrong.” She asked me what I thought of her now and I told her the truth. The truth is that I now think she’s a nice, sweet, loving person. She told me many people see her and think the same way I thought of her in the beginning. My first impression said that she was two-faced and a trash talker. She stated that she doesn’t like when people think that about her because that’s nothing like her at all.

In conclusion, I felt really bad because she’s a really nice girl and I wouldn’t like if people wrongly judged me either. That goes to tell you not to judge people buy their cover and appearance because what you think is not always true, and it could be hurtful. You have to get to know people before you can judge their character. That’s my belief.