The Deficient Use of the Ability to Reason

Michael - Palatine, Illinois

I believe in the deficient use of our ability to reason.

The idea that one sixth of the population belongs to a church which believes that Gandhi, the man who inspired millions and dedicated his life to the betterment of other people, is going to hell due to his lack of membership to the Catholic Church is an idea that denies logic.

The idea that it is right to ignore the commandments and kill others because some higher-ups decided that we should for their benefit denies all logic.

Some deny the existence of a universal truth or being, a God if you will. They fail to recognize that we are the sole beings in the possession of the ability to argue and think about these concepts. Despite this, they continue to believe that we are just animals who struck gold during the evolution process.

The idea that while the U.S. has many social and economic problems, we elect people to office who will send troops around the world to impose our way of life and government onto an unwilling population denies all logic.

The idea that we should leave the problems of global warming and other things to the following generations who will not have time to fix these problems makes no sense.

The idea that we, high school students, are wishing for the future to come, which contains a job and more responsibilities, is beyond me.

The idea that at age eighteen we can be forced to take another one’s life, but not allowed to have a drink with your family, denies all logic.

The idea that drug laws are effective, considering that the largest cash crop in California is marijuana, denies logic.

The simple idea that we can buy houses without enough money denies logic.

However, the idea that this ability to reason has brought us nowhere, considering our lack of understanding about our purpose and existence, is all too comprehendible.