I believe that things happen for a reason!!

Michael - Emporia, Kansas

I believe that things happen for a reason. I have been running a small lawn mowing/landscaping business for nine full-time years now, as my primary source of income. I have mowed lawns since I was old enough to walk behind a lawn mower. I believe, looking back now, what started me down this path was my father mowing a maze in the tall grass of our back yard, for my younger brother’s birthday party many years ago. This was the greatest attraction for the birthday party, which is the only thing I remember about the party now. All of the children attending played a myriad of games utilizing this mowed maze. Something about this stuck with me subconsciously.

I think this was one of my father’s greatest subtleties. Some weeks after the birthday party, my brothers and I wanted to repeat our grand maze adventure. My father simply told us that we needed to go mow the lawn, to make it level. “To make a clean slate,” my father would say. After the grass grew up, we could mow the maze into any shape we wanted. I was the oldest, so leveling the maze, also know as mowing the lawn, came to me. After several days, I would mow a maze with the assistance of my brothers. I never thought about the subtle machinations of a child psychology Doctorate until a few years ago, some 25 years later. It dawned on me, that we had probably been suckered by my father.

Since those early days, I have mowed lawns on the side for extra money. So, in effect, getting suckered has given me an outlet to earn extra income for years!! Now, ironically, mowing lawns is what helps pay the bills, put food on the table, and raise my children, but most importantly gives me the greatest gift possible. Time! By that, I mean a flexible schedule that lets me work around my wife’s employment. We trade shifts watching our children, so that one of us is always with them. Mowing lawns allows me to stay home and raise them. My wife and I long ago agreed that we did not want to pay someone to raise our children for us, in other words daycare. We pondered the daycare issue for over a decade until the answer presented itself in managing a lawn mowing/landscaping business.

In effect, the subtleties and genius of a psychology professor over 25 years ago has come full circle. Mowing a maze in the tall grass of our family home captured the imagination of one of his children, and in turn influencing the lives of his grandchildren. Life has those funny coincidences, which no matter how inadvertent and accidental influence a chain of events that may not surface until much later in life. For this I believe.

Confido hoc ego!

Author’s note:

My father, Paul McKnab, Ph.D., is a retired ESU psychology professor who taught teachers to teach children with learning disabilities. I was probably his greatest case. My mother, Kay also has a Ph.D. in child psychology and taught children with learning disabilities. I look back now and wonder if my life was one long psychology experiment.

Confido hoc ego! Is Latin for This I Believe.