Be Happy

Aaron - Rexburg, Idaho

Emotions come and go. Some emotions last for days while others last only for a moment. Being happy can be more than just an emotion; it can be a lifestyle. I remember several individuals that I have met in the past that “live happy”. It didn’t matter what their circumstances were at the time, they were just happy people. Seeing them happy all the time, made me want what they had. I have found the secret to happiness, but just like everything else in the world; it’s not free. To become a happy person I focused on and worked at it. Little by little I have become a happy person.

Happiness cannot be acquired by money. I have purchased toys and other things where before I had them in my possession I thought that this would bit it, the thing that would make me happy. Only to find out that I was only feeling an emotion that was subject to change. However I have bought gifts for people; and as long as it was a gift that I gave willingly the happiness I felt always lasted longer. Helping people is one thing that makes me happy. When I see someone in need I try to imagine myself in their shoes and then do what I can to help them. I think that serving those around me is what contributes most to my happiness.

I believe that to be happy the high road should always be taken. I know that I have a choice in everything that I do. Most of the time my choice isn’t between right and wrong but between good and better. By thinking about specific situations and weighing the outcome of each action I am able to choose the best from the good.

I usually get a negative reaction if I act on impulse. An example of choosing what is best and not acting on impulse is when I’m angry or upset, I count to ten. Counting to ten not only helps me cool down but it also gives me time to weigh my options and gives me the opportunity to choose to walk the high road and react in a way where everyone around me wins. I have found it impossible mix opposite emotions; I can’t be angry and happy at the same time. That is why I think that being happy is an active choice.

Me being happy doesn’t mean that I don’t have the same problems and stress as other people, I have just learned how to deal with it in a positive way. Every storm cloud has its silver lining. As I focus on the positive and deal with the negative I don’t get drug down into depression and sadness. I like to look at my glass that is filled half way as a glass half full.

I believe that being happy is an active choice. Just like grouchy old men choose to be grouchy, we can choose to be happy and instead of breaking people down we can enrich the lives of those around us.