Weather I can or I can’t I’m probably right

Travis - West Jordan, Utah

This I believe, weather I consciously tell myself that I can or can’t do something I’m usually right. Life has never been easy and never will, each day life has a new challenge in store for me, sometimes big, most of the time small, along with each challenge I’m faced with one of two dictions, I can either deal with the challenge and prevail, learn and grow or I can run away from it and accomplish nothing. I would like to give two examples of when I told myself that I could and another when I told myself that I couldn’t

Almost a year and a half ago I was serving as a missionary for my church in Carlsbad California. One Saturday morning we were asked to help a family pack up their house and move. While moving all the boxes we came across a scale everyone stepped on it curios to see how much weight they had gained from being on their mission. Knowing I weighed more than I wanted everyone to know I was avoided getting on the scale, eventually getting on the electronic scale, I read O.L. obviously standing for over load. That was one of the first times I knew something needed to change but growing up I have been on a thousand diets I knew I couldn’t do it! But this time was different I wasn’t coming home a fat slob and if I was going to change it had to be now, I CAN DO IT. In a years time span I lost a 130lbs and have kept it off for over a year and am in the best shape of my life, all because I changed my mind set I believed in myself.

When I tell myself that I cant do something it is usually when I’m in intimidated or scared last February I had a job interview with the LDS church to be apart of their temple security team, the interview process consist of 6 interviews I made it to interview number 5 before they told me I wasn’t what they were looking for. I honestly believe that it was because of my lack of confidence and intimidation that keep me from being apart of their team. Other candidates that were applying for the same position were much older and seemed much more qualified to be there. This wasn’t your average job this job had amazing pay with amazing benefits that would help pay for my collage. Why would they pick me? What did I have to offer? I made it past 5 interviews and I talked myself out of the job. Looking back I know I could have received the job, I’m just as good as any of those men. And given another chance I will put all I have into the interview. I will tell myself that I am exactly what they were looking for and have a lot to offer the company, and with no doubt I will get the job.