Friendship is a Gift

Jaime - Antioch, Illinois

As Douglas Pagels once said “a friend is one of the nicest things you can have, and one of the best things you can be.” It is important to be a good friend. Sometimes my friends may not be as good as friends to me as they can be, but I still try my best to always be there for them no matter what. Friends also help each other get through hard times.

Good and bad friendship is a gift. Good friends can give advice, just hang out, and support me in whatever I do. My best friend and I are always there for each other. Sometimes I think instead of two people we’re more like one. We text each other non-stop, hang out whenever we can, and talk about everything. Bad friends teach me what not to do, what I want out of life, and how to handle situations that I’ve never been in before. In middle school, I had a friend that constantly talked about me behind my back. I know how bad that hurts and won’t ever do that to someone. Friends are just like a personal teacher.

Most importantly, friends are there to get through the hard times together. Freshman and sophomore year, so far, have been tough on my friends and me; in the process, I have learned who is trustworthy, who is dependable, and who just needs me to support them. I have become closer to one of my friends because we both didn’t make the volleyball team. We supported each other during that hard time, now we’re closer than ever. Without my friends I don’t know where I would be in my life today. I would have half the confidence I have now. They have given me my confidence by showing that they think that I’m worth their time. In middle school, I always felt like I was just an extra person who was just there.

Over these past few years, I have gained many friends, but sadly I have also lost one of my best friends. The bad part is that the reason why were no longer friends is because we have drifted away. We want to be friends, but it’s just too hard to pick up where we left off. I don’t even know if it will ever be repaired, but what we have done to our friendship is just something that we’ll have to live with.

When it comes down to it, I wouldn’t trade any of my friends for anything in the world. I love to help them out in any way they need it because I know that in the end they’ll always be there for me, too. I believe that friendship is a gift. It should always be treasured and never be forgotten. They say hold our friends close but our enemies closer. But who wants to be around someone they hate all the time, when they can be around someone that they enjoy spending time with?