A Parents Opinion

Brittany - Concord, California

Everyone should believe that at the age of eighteen is that you should be able to make your own decisions and to do anything that you want to do. It all started off by doing something that you think is ok but wrong to your parents. Within the lesson that your parents are trying to teach you, they’ll say something like this, “when you become eighteen you can do whatever you want to”. Ever since I was thirteen I always thought about graduating high school and going on to a college of my choice. When I turned eighteen I was pretty undecided with what I wanted to study, with a little help from my brother I realized what I wanted to do, Culinary Arts. I started researching schools and looking by all my hard work I finally found one and I got accepted. I started to save money, looking for scholarships; I knew that I was ready.

Just when you think that nothing could go wrong, my parents were begging me not to go. They knew that I wanted to go the school so badly, they say, “For right now that is not the best time “I said to them that they were being selfish, and it didn’t make any sense to me. That day I was very angry and I didn’t want to talk to them, and I believe that I didn’t talk for two days. But this left me some time to think, I tried to think about negative and positive situations. They even made me think about not going to school at all. In those two days I was thinking and have decided to not go.

This is how I know that you can only make some decisions for yourself at the age of eighteen but it depends on what type of parent you have or the situation that you are in, they just don’t want to see you in a situation that you can’t handle. I still think at times about how it would have been if I went or what would have happened when I went. Somewhere along the line there was something telling my parents that I shouldn’t go I don’t know what but maybe it’s for the best. But without a doubt when I plan on attending a school or going somewhere that I want to go no one is going to stop me from going. They need to realize that it’s my life and I can decide on what I want to do with it, but there will probably still be a chance that my parents will get me to change my mind.