The power of acceptance

Amanda - Palatine, Illinois

I believe in the power of acceptance snarling in the face of those who fear the unknown. A year ago I was hidden and alone in a box of self-doubt, fighting against the denials of the parents who claimed that love of a child was eternal, and showed the hypocritical side of face, creating my fear through a shattering of hope. I was innocent, and new climbing into a wagon colored with ribbons of the rainbow and stepping out of the walk-in closet I had coveted for so long. I was like a weak fawn walking for the first time afraid of falling, and knowing that it the hurt wouldn’t go away quickly. I was fearful of coming out, scared of the labels and the connotations that would result, fearing that my friends would leave me in a wake of the negative. But instead, they awoke with shouts of encouragement and friendship powering through the crushing denials of my state by a mother who feared my new state. Breathing in for real for the first time of my life and loving every second of the new found oxygen that filled my lungs, my body with a hope that the future could only be better than the past. I walked out with my head held high and true that for once I was the real thing, being someone who had broken through the layers of dried on mud to reveal a fresh face of divine youthful bliss, that feeling of smiles overtaking a face that before knew only that of a frown. I was young and free of the confines, just because a friend said the two small words, “so what.” She was right, so what if I wasn’t “straight,” my heart was true and I still followed the same morals and principles like an arrow going straight towards the target. I know what I wanted, I had my goals and my dreams and nothing about who I loved would change that. The ones who raised me may not approve, but I believe that me accepting who I am, compensates for the hope that my parents could, can and will. I believe that accepting oneself is more important than the opinions of others, and I believe that acceptance can cut away the fear.