The ability you have to change the people around you

John - Palatine, Illinois

I believe that every single person has the ability to affect each and every person around them. A simple smile, act of kindness or the general showing of love has the incredible ability to create a positive effect in our person. The simple showing of love to a friend or complete stranger might be the only bright spot in the person’s day that might help them get through a rough time in their lives. As a Christian, I really feel that this sharing of love with others has the ability of showing them the great power that Jesus has on my life and that I can show Christ through me.

There was recently a kid my age that committed suicide at a school in the town where I go to church. The kid was a senior headed to a prestigious university in the fall. Although not an extremely popular kid, he was far from the loner we normally consider the profile for a person about to commit suicide. He had just taken an AP test the day before committing suicide, was at school that day and had just asked a girl to prom on the Saturday before. Talking to my friends from church at the school is the despair they felt because they had had classes with him and believed they could have done more to possibly help them. There was no way anyone could have seen the demons that must have been tormenting him. Their stories struck a nerve in me because all I could think about was how there were so many kids in classes of mine that I might just not go out of my way to talk to or show love to because they seem like they were alright. It’s very possible and likely that those people might be tormented more than shown and need a positive light in their life.

I truly believe it is all of our responsibility to be a light to others to help them in a bad situation. I don’t believe it is enough to say you are a good person because you may volunteer an hour or two on the weekends. In every single situation, I feel there is a necessity to show love and compassion that could possibly help them. None of us really understand how much a simple “hello,” “how are you,” or having a conversation with a person might have on others. I really feel that is my duty as a Christian to show Christ in myself, so that, instead of self mutilation, they will turn to God.