Negative effects of positive treatments

Steve - Hoffman Estates, Illinois
Themes: humanism

I believe that the process of sympathy, such as affirmative action, is overwhelmingly unnecessary in our country. Yes, this sounds as if I am a racist or I am a human being who doesn’t feel any sorrow for others. However, by letting the emotion of sympathy overtake one’s brain and helping the so-called “needy” people places opportunity costs on other people who live their lives. By this, Newton’s third law applies nicely, as it says “To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction”. Opposite may mean “backward”, but it also means “negative”. Thus, as those “needy” people are benefiting from the “positive action”, people who don’t even want to sympathize, like me, experience “negative reaction”.

Am I being pessimistic? I don’t think so. The money wasted equates to the time wasted. Weirdly, the government is the one who gets to decide who does or doesn’t deserve the “grant” or any beneficial treatment. By this, it would be heartbreaking for those hard workers to see the government take their money away just because they have worked harder than other “needy” people and earned more money.

Money isn’t the main factor regarding the process of sympathy, either. The system of education, such as college acceptance, is vastly affected by affirmative action. While one person from an African origin may get in easily to a school of other person’s dream just because that African person had a great-grandfather who once was a slave, other person who had that college as a dream school for 10 years may be pushed out of the acceptance region, due to the fullness of acceptance seats.

One may try to call me a hypocrite, as one may say that I am sympathizing myself or other people who don’t get the special “treatments”. For that, I want to say one thing. This I believe: All human is selfish by nature.