I Belive in the Power of Smiles

Chelsea - Mechanicsville, Virginia
Themes: pleasure

I Believe In the Power of Smiles

I believe in the power of smiles, and yes I believe a smile can completely change ones day.

I started as a late in the season employee at a popular theme park and soon I became used to the complaints from co-workers about the rude “guests” and the same routine day in and day out. In reaction to their boredom a few of them would start testing the limits, they would sit back and just test the waters to see how rude you could be to without getting in trouble. As if those very people they were making fun of weren’t keeping them employed! As if they weren’t indirectly signing their paychecks! They were going to make fun of them behind their backs and mock them after hours.

In this I was not about to join and instead I decided to be a little different. Yes, in that job different meant I was to act cheerful, like every guest was not exactly like the one before them, but instead like a long lost aunt or cousin. I would smile, chat, talk about their day with them and always try to be nice. You better believe with this mentality came initial fun poking from my new co-workers, until they realized that yeah smiling actually did make the day go faster!

Granted, when in a theme park, employees are not quite strangers but more like people who are paid to talk to you. So yes, being the only smiling employee in sight might have brought on a few unwanted, overly nice, and sometimes an overly touchy guest. But the most fulfilling part was when you had that slightly bedraggled guest who just wanted to thank you because your smile made them feel for the first time that day like they weren’t an inconvenience.

All I did was smile! Smile! That’s all it took to make a guest feel like an actual guest! So whether at home, at school, or at work, when you feel like life needs a boost, try a smile. According to new studies, contrary to popular belief, it takes one less muscle to smile than to frown. So what have you too lose? The answer is nothing, you can only gain. You gain the joy that smiling brings. You gain the chance to see children smile back. And you work one less muscle than you would if you just kept the same drab frown that most people tend to sport nowadays. So do it, try it, go “Put on a Happy Face.”