Civil Rights: Freedoms and Justice for All

Christian - Brooklyn, New York

I believe that there is such a thing as civil rights, which are granted to each person born on this planet at birth, that the Declaration of Independence is correct in saying “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.” However, as history shows us with the Native Americans since the founding of this country, and with African Americans since the Peculiar Institution of Slavery, this is not the case.

When most people think of civil rights they think of the Civil Rights Movement, and pretty soon the next thought that enters their minds are African American rights. Oppression appears to be associated with one particular group, leaving out women, immigrants, American Indians, gays and lesbians, and so forth. This is quite sad. While the Civil Rights Movement took place during the 1960s, most American people were unaware that the Native Americans were striving for the same equal rights as well. John Trudell, leader of the Native American Civil Rights Movement, participated in protest events such as the move onto Alcatraz Island, the burning of the American Flag in 1979, and many others. American Indian protests have been active for many years and are still active now because civil rights have yet to be achieved. “Peace” for one group does not guarantee peace for another group; in fact it should imply that the lives of another group will be in flux.

The harsh reality is that nothing in life, especially civil liberties have been given for free. Everything in society has a price, including freedom. The poor and minority groups are oppressed because they cannot afford freedom, liberty, or justice. Not even the wealthy can have anything for free, for with all that money they must pay for their safety, power, and justice. The fact that there is freedom, equality, and justice for all is a misconception. It is natural for one group to take away from another because the environment cannot supply them both. The better equipped survive; those with enough money, education, or even the right job. There will never be enough civil rights for everyone in society. A society is all about keeping order, and as freedoms trickle down the tiers of civilization, those who are less equipped will be unprotected and unhappy. Unfortunately this is inevitable and this is what I believe.