This I believe

Joshua - queens, New York

I believe that America’s Civil Rights title, “Land of Free” is changing to land of opportunity. America’s habitually misconstrued line of “Land of the Free” confuses Americans as well as the people trying to get into America. Speaking literally, all of America has been founded, concurred, and is owned by a capitalist. The out dated 1776 idea of “Land of the Free” is an illusion to keep the masses that work for the capitalist controlled. The title was made early in American history with the pure intentions of letting the world know that it is a land for free religion, but with that the challenges began. The ability to believe in your religion only came if you were a white male who owned land. The distinction of who will receive freedoms began early in America and with this began the contradiction of the saying “Land of the Free”.

Rewinding to the eighteen hundreds, the comparison between black and white and North and South was being dealt with in America, and the outcome of this determined how the country would be for decades to come. The separation became evident between the two and could not coincide because of harsh contrasting ideas. Now the idea of freedom for all has to have a Civil war fought over it to decide is it truly freedom for all, or just freedom for the people who write the laws and amendments which they all live under. America passed the first test of who shall receive freedom in America, and the cost of this question was a death of toll of about 618,000 people from both sides. With the new and important Reconstruction Amendment, America was on its way to becoming a country with new morals. Sadly, the war only decided what capitalist system would control America. Optimistic historians of American history would say that this was a big leap forward for the civil rights of Americans and they would be accurate by saying that during the rise of 1960’s, America’s civil issues shall arise once again.

This quotation summarizes the problem of 1960’s abruptly; from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.” During the Civil Rights era, the government ignorantly ignored the rights of minorities because of the seemingly important distinction of skin color. Through countless sit-ins, riots, motivational speeches, and acts that resulted in violence America essentially got rid of the out dated saying separate but equal. Over the past 233 years, Americans have known their country as the land of the free but now I would want to propose a new title to America and that is the land of opportunity. We give people the opportunity to earn their freedom because, sadly, no one hands it away. In America’s current state there are still people who do not receive there civil liberties but are still citizens of America such as Homosexuals and immigrants. There is forever going to be a struggle between people and gaining rights because where one gains in rights another has it taken away.