Dustin - Ririe, Idaho

I remember as a child when my parents were giving me advice about looking for cars before I crossed the road. It is something that my parents taught their children to keep them safe from what has to be a devastating, but all too real fear. Most of the time I followed this advice, however the one time I didn’t I was taught an everlasting lesson.

At seven years old I neglected to take their advice and was struck by a pick-up truck. While I was lying on the ground a time passed that I was neither here nor there. My first memory after the accident was my mother screaming and holding me gently. Her little boy had been struck, and nobody knew what would result from the accident.

With my mother scared and not wanting to let go, the ambulance came and we were on our way to the hospital. I was diagnosed with a fractured skull, road rash, bruised legs, and a serious concussion. I also went and had some plastic surgery to help my forehead heal. I was released from the hospital later that evening.

My intentions were not to hurt my mother, nor were they to injure myself. The everlasting lesson that I learned is by being constant in good advice that keeps me safe, will always protect me. By being constant I could have avoided suffering for myself, and for my loved ones. It is not until now that I can understand how serious of a situation I was in. I cannot even imagine the feelings that my Mother was experiencing.

Advice is a simple principal that can guide us in being safe, making right decisions, and living our lives to the fullest. We must choose to decipher what advice is for our best benefit, and live by it. We might not know or realize all the consequences, but if we follow our hearts and stay firm we can avoid hurting people that we love.