It’s the little things

Emily - Phoenix, Arizona

There is a song that I used to listen to all of the time when I was younger. It was “The Little Things” by Good Charlotte. Part of the chorus goes ‘The Little things, little things, they just won’t go away. The Little things, little things, made who I am today.” Ever since I had started listening to that song, more and more I began to realize that it really is the “little things” that matter in life.

When I was in seventh grade we found out my dad was having an affair, and had been for the majority of my 13 years of life. While that in itself is not a little thing, it was the little things that surrounded it that impacted me the most. My sisters and I began to fight more, my mom always seemed depressed. It soon began to be the little things I had to get over, not the separation of my parents.

One day, my older sister Maddie was in a terrible mood. I could tell it was because of my dad. I suggested we go get snow cones from our favorite place. So, she drove us down there and we both got two huge snow cones. Over the snow cones we talked about our feelings toward the situation and I could tell she was starting to feel better. It was the little gesture of kindness I made toward her that helped her get through that day. It was such little things like snow cones and talking that made us both feel better.

No matter how tough a day gets, or rough life may be, it is the little things in life that get us by. The little things, that brightens up the day. Sometimes they may make things worse, like an argument or a bad attitude, but they are always conquerable and can make a person stronger. That is why I believe it is the little things in life that matter.