Nobody Can Put You Down

James Kevin - surprise, Arizona

Friends, what are they? According to the dictionary a friend is one that is not hostile. Now if I take that definition and look back at my past my “friends” weren’t really my friends. In fact they made fun of me from third grade all the way to sixth. Now let me tell you being insulted on a daily basis for three years of your life really suck.

Back then I was a tubby little kid around seven or eight years old. There was nothing really special about me, except the fact that I was pretty good with math. I was in Mrs. Jimenez’s class – it was mixed grades – when one day I got a house visit from her and she says I’m getting transferred to another class. As an eight year old I didn’t take it to well and let’s say I got into some trouble. But in that class I met my tormenters.

I will not disclose their names because I probably wouldn’t be who I am today without them. Anyway, so after I settled into my new surroundings it started. Everyday they taunted me over my weight and my ethnicity – by the way I’m Filipino with a little bit of Chinese sprinkled into the mix – during recess when the teachers weren’t around. During those times I cried a lot. I really hated it, in fact to the point where a suicide or a murder was beginning to look like a solution to my problems.

Then one day I decided to play football with them. I sucked and was made fun of because of it. Then there was this one special play and that’s where it all started to change. At the time we were playing the older grades and they were a lot stronger. But during one play a seventh grader happened to be running the ball, and it was just him and me running towards each other. And when you see a third grader and a seventh grader running towards each other you expect the seventh grader to plow right over the small one right? Well not in this case, we collided and both went flying in the opposite direction. Right then and there those insults turned into complements.

Now they still made fun of me but there were some complements laced in. Eventually I moved away and made some new friends through the sport of football. I even lost a bit of weight. Through football my life changed and I started to feel better. If you find something your good at nobody can put you down, and this is what I believe.