zack - moscow, Idaho
Themes: environment

“Save the Earth”, “fur is murder”. “Eating here promotes bestial terrorism”. All of those saying that really grind at my gears. The sayings that try and are meant to make me feel sad or bad that I am eating what I am, more or less it is what I am doing because it does not agree with their standards. These extreme environmentalists are trying to do whatever they can to make my choices and my lifestyle outlawed because they are not what they think or feel. I believe that environmentalists are counterproductive to their cause. Their extreme methods tend to make people go against what they are trying to do and it is always more fun to piss them off than to do what they are wanting. They claim to want to save the world from despair and all of the pollution and resource hogging that humans cause.

I stepped out onto the quad of my high school like every other day. It was lunch and I had just gotten done eating. I was walking my trash over to the trash receptacle. It was spring the sun was out and nothing could be better. As I slowly walked and enjoyed my momentary freedom from the mundane over repetitive curriculum that was high school I saw them coming at me. “You know what you are doing when you throw away that plastic?” they asked me as I was about to throw away my lunch. My sarcastic mind came up with a witty smartass answer but it was lunch and the last thing I wanted to do was cause a scuffle and unnecessary drama. “No, what am I doing?” I tried to say it as uninterested as I could in hopes of them hearing and picking up on the fact that I had wanted nothing to do with them. I then proceeded to have my lunch period wasted with useless banter about statistics and facts that had absolutely nothing to due with besides becoming a single digit in their multi million people fact. It was an absolute waste of time and I would give anything to take it back.

I realized that day that it is a much better idea to use what the earth has to offer, the earth is adapting. It is going through global warming and other climate changes adapting to what humans have done to it, it is our place to adapt for once, and people are only going to do that when they are forced to. Crisis precipitate change, and humans like every other animal, will only make crucial changes when forced into a corner for its own existence.

To make an unnecessary point I threw away the rest of my lunch in its entirety in the trash in front of them with a grin on my face. To be that extreme and not acknowledge the fact that you are wasting the same resources as anybody is just hypocritical.